A rooftop PV system, is a photovoltaic system that has its electricity generating solar panels mounted on the rooftop of a residential, Institutional, commercial building. The various components of such a system include photovoltaic modules, mounting systems, solar inverters and other electrical accessories. Rooftop/Truss mounted systems are small as compared to ground-mounted photovoltaic power system.
Rooftop Solar can be of following types:
1) On Grid System
2) Off Grid System
3) Hybrid System
4) BIPV Based System
Solar energy technologies are no longer just a ‘greenie’ option- they make good economic, social and environmental sense. Rooftop solar has very important role in green buildings in power generation and reducing energy consumption for cooling of building.
Solar Powered Systems are supported by many national and international bodies like:
1) Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) – Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC)
2) National Building Code (NBC)
3) Ministry of Environment and Forest (MoEF) – Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and clearance
4) Green rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA)
5) Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
6) Indian Green Building Council (IGBC)
7) The Energy and Resource institute (TERI)